Deborah H. Atkin, M.D., our board-certified dermatologist, offers an array of effective treatment options for psoriasis at Dermatology & Laser of Del Mar. With oral medications, topical creams or laser skin treatment, Dr. Atkin can help control flare-ups and reduce pain and discomfort from this common skin condition.
As many as 7.5 million Americans are affected by psoriasis, characterized by raised red patches on the skin covered with a white buildup of dead skin cells called scale. Psoriasis is a chronic, autoimmune disease caused when the immune system is mistakenly triggered, leading to accelerated skin cell growth.
Psoriasis, which may affect any part of the skin, commonly begins between the ages of 15 and 35, and in many cases goes away and then flares up again repeatedly over time. The condition is not contagious.
Experts believe genetics can be a factor, with other contributing causes such as stress, skin injuries, and certain medications. There are five types of psoriasis:
- Plaque – The most common form of psoriasis, plaque manifests as raised red patches covered with scale, usually found on the elbows, knees, scalp, and lower back.
- Guttate – Most common in younger patients, guttate psoriasis usually appears as small raised red patches on the body.
- Inverse – Typically appearing as large, red scaly patches, inverse psoriasis is usually found in the axilla and groin area, under the breasts, and in other skin folds.
- Pustular – Pustular psoriasis is most commonly found in adults, and appears as white pustules surrounded by red patches.
- Erythrodermic – Erythrodermic psoriasis is the most inflammatory form of psoriasis, often affecting the whole body. It can be extremely painful and itchy, and if left untreated, can lead to severe illness.
For more information, please visit the National Psoriasis Foundation, www.psoriasis.org.
Contact Dermatology & Laser of Del Mar
Do you have additional questions? Contact us to schedule an appointment with Deborah H. Atkin, M.D. or call Dermatology & Laser of Del Mar at 858.350.SKIN (7546).